- Quotables March 10
Last week, How I Met Your Mother aired an episode that implicitly teased a disturbing possibility: "The Mother" — whose first encounter with series protagonist Ted has been teased for more than 200 episodes — will be killed off before the series comes to an end.
But if you're a subscriber to this widespread conspiracy theory, Cristin Milioti (who plays the mother) would like to ease your worries.
"There have been rampant theories throughout the show in the last couple years, and this season, that the story's being told because the mother is dead," says an interviewer from The Hollywood Reporter during a recent chat with Milioti.
"That's insane," replies Milioti. "There's like, some crazy conspiracy theories — which actually just makes me, like, really love the fans more, 'cause I'm like, 'Wow, you guys are really... you're getting to the bottom of, like... something. I don't know, there's such passion there. That is so crazy." Milioti goes on to compare the "Mother is dead" theory to Lost, though she admits she's only seen a single episode — so there's still a chance she'll turn out to be the Smoke Monster. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- What the media gets wrong about Jeb Bush
Subscribe to the Week