- Crime and punishment March 10
Joran van der Sloot, the prime suspect in the death of teenager Natalee Holloway, will finally be extradited to the United States — in 2038. A Peruvian court ruled Sunday that van der Sloot, who is currently serving the second year of a 28-year jail sentence for another murder in Peru, won't be sent to the U.S. until he completes his whole term.
Although the Dutchman hasn't been charged with the Holloway murder, U.S. prosecutors have indicted him on a number of other charges relating to Holloway's 2005 death in Aruba. He's accused of extortion and fraud, including taking $25,000 from Holloway's mother in exchange for information on the whereabouts of her daughter's body. It was never found.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How to make any veggie burger without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week