- NOPE March 11
Over the weekend, brooding "Royals" singer Lorde and the constantly heartbroken Taylor Swift were captured having a girls' weekend in New York. We were excited to see this new friendship blossom, but shock jockey Kyle Sandilands quizzed the 17-year-old singer in an interview if the relationship was something more.
"I see you guys' pictures everywhere. Are you guys like, uh, are you together now?" he asked her. "Not together as in lesbians. I'm not talking about 'Ellen together.' I'm talking about, like, you guys are friendly right?"
After an awkward silence, Lorde shot back: "What do you mean you're not talking about 'Ellen together?' Is there something wrong with lesbians? Is that what you're trying to say?" Sandilands tried downplaying the joke, but Lorde told him to shut up. She said they're friends and called Swift a "gorgeous creature."
Listen to cringe-inducing interview below. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week