- The future has arrived March 12
You can play Scrabble online, but you can't drop the word "hashtag." Or, at least you can't legally play it just yet.
On Wednesday, Hasbro announced it would soon be updating the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary for the first time in nine years via a contest in which players can nominate new words. The company will then select 16 entries to compete in a bracket, a la March Madness, to decide which word wins entrance into the game.
You can submit your ideas through Hasbro's Facebook page, where early suggestions include "emoji," "dadgummit," "amazeballs," "twerk," "lol," and "dingledorf." But come on, we all know "selfie" is going to win.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week