Last week’s contest: The arctic temperatures that gripped much of the U.S. this winter killed off 80 percent of the ash borer insects that destroy ash trees in the Midwest, as well as large percentage of other nuisance insects. Name one other beneficial effect of the frigid, snowy winter that you experienced or witnessed.
THE WINNER: My plow guy has a brand-new Mercedes
Bill O’Meara, Bedford, N.H.
SECOND PLACE: I haven’t had a hot flash in 4 months!
Anne Peters, North Ridgeville, Ohio
THIRD PLACE: My yard looks as good as my neighbor’s
Judith Stodola, Green Bay, Wis.
A higher ROI on my cashmere sweaters
Jessica Jasiukowicz, Hooksett, N.H.
Less laundry—I never removed the thermal underwear
Fernanda H. Sakamoto, Boston
I was able to cancel my gym membership due to continuous snow-shoveling workouts
Andrew Tuite, Chicago
Watching people dig out driveways, walks, and cars made me feel better about not owning a house or car
Joanne Sullivan, Maspeth, N.Y.
Driving across the frozen Hudson when GW Bridge lanes are closed
Kristen Pavlik, Laurel, Md.
Satisfaction with my choice of location
David Eichner, Kapaau, Hawaii
No visits from Jehovah’s Witnesses
Michael Vyain, Fort Wayne, Ind.
Sweatshops are 10 percent less sweaty
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville
Big sweaters cover a multitude of flaws
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Members of Congress and lobbyists walking down the street with their hands in their own pockets
Bob Peffers, San Antonio
Blizzard baby boom!
Sara Zander, Petaluma, Calif.
Another hilarious twist to the global warming debate
Scott Merrow, Albuquerque
School closings improved children’s education
Steve McConnell, Walpole, Mass.
Instead of losing money in the stock market, I froze my assets
Larry Fehrm, Hartland, Wis.
My in-laws’ flight to visit us was canceled twice
David McEnerney, Seymour, Conn.
Received the “frozen-face look” for free in time for the Oscars
Joni Wells, White Bear Lake, Minn.
More Facebook pictures of snow = fewer Facebook pictures of cats
Stephen Benefield, Lacey’s Spring, Ala.
Record high employment in the long johns industry
Eric E. Wallace, Eagle, Idaho
I can ice-skate down my driveway to my mailbox every day
Laurie Carroll, Effingham, N.H.
Increased use of “cuddling” as a heat source
Linda Dunham, Canton, S.D.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week