- This just in March 12
J.J. Abrams' quest to cast the next generation of Jedi for Star Wars: Episode VII is reportedly nearing its end. According to multiple sources at Variety, five young actors are currently battling to secure the film's lead role. They are:
* Jesse Plemons, of Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad fame
* Ed Speelers, who currently stars in Downton Abbey
*John Boyega, who starred in Attack the Block
*Matthew James Thomas, a theater actor who had a supporting role in 2000's Billy Elliot
*Ray Fisher, who played Muhammad Ali in New York Theatre Workshop's Fetch Clay, Make Man last year
Specifics of the role remain unclear, but Variety says the character "is believed to be a Jedi apprentice." May the Force be with all of them.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week