- Better late than never March 12
Of the several mysteries that True Detective left on the table, there's one that the show barely bothered to acknowledge: Why did things end between Rust and his girlfriend Laurie?
As it turns out, that's a question True Detective originally intended to answer. Via Slate, Extra has a deleted scene that depicts the couple arguing over whether or not to have children. When Rust explains that he believes it's morally wrong to have children, she fires back at him: "You're scared. Or is it you don't... with me? You don't love me that way?"
Rust refuses to back down — and while the clip doesn't end with their breakup, it's clear that the relationship is in serious jeopardy. Check it out below, and fantasize about the revelations that the rest of the deleted scenes could include — like Rust's meticulous mustache-grooming technique. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week