- Better late than never March 12
Of the several mysteries that True Detective left on the table, there's one that the show barely bothered to acknowledge: Why did things end between Rust and his girlfriend Laurie?
As it turns out, that's a question True Detective originally intended to answer. Via Slate, Extra has a deleted scene that depicts the couple arguing over whether or not to have children. When Rust explains that he believes it's morally wrong to have children, she fires back at him: "You're scared. Or is it you don't... with me? You don't love me that way?"
Rust refuses to back down — and while the clip doesn't end with their breakup, it's clear that the relationship is in serious jeopardy. Check it out below, and fantasize about the revelations that the rest of the deleted scenes could include — like Rust's meticulous mustache-grooming technique. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week