- This just in March 13
Early Thursday, a gray sedan drove through a barricade and into a crowd at the South By Southwest festival in Austin. Police say the car killed two people on a moped and injured at least 23 others, five of them critically. The driver, who was fleeing a DWI stop, is in custody. The crowd was on the blocked-off Red River Street outside the Mowhawk club, where rapper Tyler, the Creator, was performing. --Peter Weber
UPDATE: Here's video of Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo explaining what happened, and what happens next:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week