- This just in March 13
Early Thursday, a gray sedan drove through a barricade and into a crowd at the South By Southwest festival in Austin. Police say the car killed two people on a moped and injured at least 23 others, five of them critically. The driver, who was fleeing a DWI stop, is in custody. The crowd was on the blocked-off Red River Street outside the Mowhawk club, where rapper Tyler, the Creator, was performing. --Peter Weber
UPDATE: Here's video of Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo explaining what happened, and what happens next:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Happy Thanksgiving! 7 holiday-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week