- Late Night Antics March 13
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart waded into the brewing showdown between Congress and the CIA over allegations that U.S. spies hacked into the Senate intelligence committee's computers to thwart an investigation into CIA torture. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the chairwoman of the committee, is furious — and that's bad news for the agency, since she's one of its staunchest defenders, Stewart noted.
Stewart also mocked Feinstein for finally caring about government surveillance, now that the CIA is allegedly hacking into her Senate computers rather than "looking at your stuff" — because covertly removing damning documents relevant to an investigation into illicit torture is the same as the NSA scooping up your telephone metadata? But Stewart had fun with CIA Director John Brennan's hurt feelings over Feinstein's allegations, too — hacking the Senate's computers is more "beyond the scope of reason" than overthrowing governments and assassinating leaders? he asked incredulously.
If that's a little heavy for your tastes, the follow-up segment with new correspondent Jordan Klepper is all laughs. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week