- Late Night Antics March 13
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart waded into the brewing showdown between Congress and the CIA over allegations that U.S. spies hacked into the Senate intelligence committee's computers to thwart an investigation into CIA torture. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the chairwoman of the committee, is furious — and that's bad news for the agency, since she's one of its staunchest defenders, Stewart noted.
Stewart also mocked Feinstein for finally caring about government surveillance, now that the CIA is allegedly hacking into her Senate computers rather than "looking at your stuff" — because covertly removing damning documents relevant to an investigation into illicit torture is the same as the NSA scooping up your telephone metadata? But Stewart had fun with CIA Director John Brennan's hurt feelings over Feinstein's allegations, too — hacking the Senate's computers is more "beyond the scope of reason" than overthrowing governments and assassinating leaders? he asked incredulously.
If that's a little heavy for your tastes, the follow-up segment with new correspondent Jordan Klepper is all laughs. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week