- This just in March 13
The allegedly drunk driver that plowed through a crowd last night at the South By Southwest festival, killing two people and injuring nearly two dozen others, will soon be charged with two counts of capital murder and 23 counts of aggravated assault.
At a press conference this morning, Austin Police Department Chief Art Acevedo said the suspect's name will be released later today. The police also disclosed new information about the two victims. One was a man from the Netherlands who was riding his bike when the driver's gray sedan drove over him, and another was an Austin woman who was on a moped. They were both pronounced dead at the scene.
Also, new details have emerged of what happened last night. Police say it all started when the driver sped off to avoid being stopped on suspicion of driving under the influence. The suspect then almost hit a police officer with his car, before driving the wrong way on a downtown street, ramming a barricade, and hitting the crowd. The suspect then jumped out of the car and tried to flee, but he was tasered by cops and arrested.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week