- This just in March 13
The allegedly drunk driver that plowed through a crowd last night at the South By Southwest festival, killing two people and injuring nearly two dozen others, will soon be charged with two counts of capital murder and 23 counts of aggravated assault.
At a press conference this morning, Austin Police Department Chief Art Acevedo said the suspect's name will be released later today. The police also disclosed new information about the two victims. One was a man from the Netherlands who was riding his bike when the driver's gray sedan drove over him, and another was an Austin woman who was on a moped. They were both pronounced dead at the scene.
Also, new details have emerged of what happened last night. Police say it all started when the driver sped off to avoid being stopped on suspicion of driving under the influence. The suspect then almost hit a police officer with his car, before driving the wrong way on a downtown street, ramming a barricade, and hitting the crowd. The suspect then jumped out of the car and tried to flee, but he was tasered by cops and arrested.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week