- His Holiness March 13
Today marks one year since Pope Francis took over as head of the Catholic church. While Francis' early record is questioned by plenty of critics, John Gehring at The Washington Post gave Francis high marks on his first report card, noting that while the church's doctrine may remain unchanged, many in the flock have found Francis an invigorating spiritual leader:
Skeptics argue that Francis' genius is his mastery of style and say they find little substantive change to celebrate. But in a sacramental religion, symbol is substance. When he washes the feet of a Muslim girl or calls a distressed unwed mother and offers to baptize her baby, those gestures teach more effectively than any fine print in the church’s catechism. [The Washington Post]
No matter how you feel about Pope Francis, you have to admit that he's already had some pretty classic moments. Below, three such photos from the pontiff's first year on the job. --Sarah Eberspacher
Mar. 28, 2013: Pope Francis washes the feet of 12 inmates — including two women — at a juvenile detention center in Rome. | (AP Photo/L'Osservatore Romano, ho)
Oct. 26, 2013: A boy gives the Pope a hug while he delivers a speech at St. Peter's Square. | (AP Photo/L'Osservatore Romano, ho)
Jan. 7, 2014: Live nativity scene actors place a lamb around Pope Francis' neck at St. Alfonso Maria de' Liguori church, in Rome. | (AP Photo/Osservatore Romano, ho)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week