- His Holiness March 13
Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) has invited Pope Francis to address a joint session of Congress. If Pope Francis accepts, he would be the first head of the Catholic Church to ever address the legislative body.
"The Holy Father's pastoral message challenges people of all faiths, ideologies, and political parties," Boehner said in a statement. "His address as a visiting head of state before a joint meeting of the House and Senate would honor our nation in keeping with the best traditions of our democratic institutions. It would also offer an excellent opportunity for the American people as well as the nations of the world to hear his message in full."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week