- His Holiness March 13
Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) has invited Pope Francis to address a joint session of Congress. If Pope Francis accepts, he would be the first head of the Catholic Church to ever address the legislative body.
"The Holy Father's pastoral message challenges people of all faiths, ideologies, and political parties," Boehner said in a statement. "His address as a visiting head of state before a joint meeting of the House and Senate would honor our nation in keeping with the best traditions of our democratic institutions. It would also offer an excellent opportunity for the American people as well as the nations of the world to hear his message in full."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week