- Foreign affairs March 14
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in London today in a bid to negotiate a political resolution to the crisis in Crimea, which will hold a referendum on joining the Russian federation on Sunday. How are the talks going? Not so well if this image is any indication, which is positively funereal. It puts a new spin on that old joke about the former presidential candidate: John Kerry, why the long face?
Soon they will be taking joyful selfies together, yes? pic.twitter.com/4zMyY6UIou— Elif Batuman (@BananaKarenina) March 14, 2014
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
Subscribe to the Week