- This just in March 16
Only a few months removed from office, former Boston mayor Thomas Menino has been diagnosed with an advanced form of cancer, according to The Boston Globe. Doctors have so far been unable to determine the source of the cancer, which has spread to his lymph nodes and liver.
The 71-year-old Menino served as Boston's charismatic, if often literally misunderstood, mayor for two decades. During his record tenure, the mayor oversaw a concerted redevelopment of the city's neglected waterfront area, implemented vast new bike-friendly infrastructure, and played host to the 2004 Democratic National Convention. But with his health failing in recent years — he was hospitalized for two months in 2012 after contracting a serious respiratory infection — he opted not to run for a sixth term last November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week