- This just in March 16
Only a few months removed from office, former Boston mayor Thomas Menino has been diagnosed with an advanced form of cancer, according to The Boston Globe. Doctors have so far been unable to determine the source of the cancer, which has spread to his lymph nodes and liver.
The 71-year-old Menino served as Boston's charismatic, if often literally misunderstood, mayor for two decades. During his record tenure, the mayor oversaw a concerted redevelopment of the city's neglected waterfront area, implemented vast new bike-friendly infrastructure, and played host to the 2004 Democratic National Convention. But with his health failing in recent years — he was hospitalized for two months in 2012 after contracting a serious respiratory infection — he opted not to run for a sixth term last November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week