- This just in March 16
Only a few months removed from office, former Boston mayor Thomas Menino has been diagnosed with an advanced form of cancer, according to The Boston Globe. Doctors have so far been unable to determine the source of the cancer, which has spread to his lymph nodes and liver.
The 71-year-old Menino served as Boston's charismatic, if often literally misunderstood, mayor for two decades. During his record tenure, the mayor oversaw a concerted redevelopment of the city's neglected waterfront area, implemented vast new bike-friendly infrastructure, and played host to the 2004 Democratic National Convention. But with his health failing in recent years — he was hospitalized for two months in 2012 after contracting a serious respiratory infection — he opted not to run for a sixth term last November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week