- This just in March 16
Only a few months removed from office, former Boston mayor Thomas Menino has been diagnosed with an advanced form of cancer, according to The Boston Globe. Doctors have so far been unable to determine the source of the cancer, which has spread to his lymph nodes and liver.
The 71-year-old Menino served as Boston's charismatic, if often literally misunderstood, mayor for two decades. During his record tenure, the mayor oversaw a concerted redevelopment of the city's neglected waterfront area, implemented vast new bike-friendly infrastructure, and played host to the 2004 Democratic National Convention. But with his health failing in recent years — he was hospitalized for two months in 2012 after contracting a serious respiratory infection — he opted not to run for a sixth term last November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week