- Bummer March 16
When she's not busy being quirky, New Girl star and noted bangs enthusiast Zooey Deschanel records twee, often ukulele-backed indie songs. And when he's not busy being mysterious and posting "selfies" of himself as a cloud of smoke, Prince records funky, often eccentric, pop and rock songs. Put the two together and you get a bland dance tune that sounds as if it belongs not on an acclaimed genre-bending album, but rather on an unthreatening basic cable TV show — which is precisely where a new duet between the two originated.
Audio of a full-length, synth-heavy song from Prince and Deschanel, called "FALLINLOVE2NITE," is now online, and it's hard to see the song as much more than a hastily-recorded coda to Prince's appearance last month on New Girl. In addition to offering life advice and talking about pancakes during his post-Super Bowl cameo on the show, Prince also performed a snippet of the song, which you can hear in full below. -- Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
Subscribe to the Week