March 17, 1969: As advisors secretly negotiated with Hanoi, President Nixon downplayed the prospect of U.S. troop withdrawals from Vietnam. Three months later, Nixon announced his "Vietnamization" policy, designed to upgrade South Vietnam's ability to fight on its own – and to speed up an American withdrawal.
March 17, 1997: An emergency operation for Bill Clinton. The president slipped on some stairs while staying at the home of golfer Greg Norman and tore the tendon in his right knee.
Quote of the Day
"I like the noise of democracy." — James Buchanan
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Yes, the Federal Reserve is politicized — and that's a good thing
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- Is Amazon a monopoly?
Subscribe to the Week