March 17, 1969: As advisors secretly negotiated with Hanoi, President Nixon downplayed the prospect of U.S. troop withdrawals from Vietnam. Three months later, Nixon announced his "Vietnamization" policy, designed to upgrade South Vietnam's ability to fight on its own – and to speed up an American withdrawal.
March 17, 1997: An emergency operation for Bill Clinton. The president slipped on some stairs while staying at the home of golfer Greg Norman and tore the tendon in his right knee.
Quote of the Day
"I like the noise of democracy." — James Buchanan
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week