March 17, 1969: As advisors secretly negotiated with Hanoi, President Nixon downplayed the prospect of U.S. troop withdrawals from Vietnam. Three months later, Nixon announced his "Vietnamization" policy, designed to upgrade South Vietnam's ability to fight on its own – and to speed up an American withdrawal.
March 17, 1997: An emergency operation for Bill Clinton. The president slipped on some stairs while staying at the home of golfer Greg Norman and tore the tendon in his right knee.
Quote of the Day
"I like the noise of democracy." — James Buchanan
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week