March 17, 1969: As advisors secretly negotiated with Hanoi, President Nixon downplayed the prospect of U.S. troop withdrawals from Vietnam. Three months later, Nixon announced his "Vietnamization" policy, designed to upgrade South Vietnam's ability to fight on its own – and to speed up an American withdrawal.
March 17, 1997: An emergency operation for Bill Clinton. The president slipped on some stairs while staying at the home of golfer Greg Norman and tore the tendon in his right knee.
Quote of the Day
"I like the noise of democracy." — James Buchanan
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week