March 17, 1969: As advisors secretly negotiated with Hanoi, President Nixon downplayed the prospect of U.S. troop withdrawals from Vietnam. Three months later, Nixon announced his "Vietnamization" policy, designed to upgrade South Vietnam's ability to fight on its own – and to speed up an American withdrawal.
March 17, 1997: An emergency operation for Bill Clinton. The president slipped on some stairs while staying at the home of golfer Greg Norman and tore the tendon in his right knee.
Quote of the Day
"I like the noise of democracy." — James Buchanan
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week