- Bummer March 17
Director Marc Webb has always seemed like he was born to shepherd The Amazing Spider-Man franchise to the big screen (if only because his last name was "Webb"). But in a recent interview with The Daily Beast, Webb revealed that his time with the web-slinger will be limited to just three films.
"I'd like to be involved as a consultant, and I've already talked to these guys about it, but in terms of directing [The Amazing Spider Man 3], that will close out my tenure," said Webb. I've had so much fun doing it, but after the third movie, it'll be the time to find something else." But with or without Webb, Sony isn't wasting any time — The Amazing Spider-Man 4 is already scheduled for release in May of 2018.
The studio is also developing spin-offs based on villains Venom and the Sinister Six, as part of a plan to release a new entry in the Amazing Spider-Man franchise every year — because the best way to ensure the long-term future of your franchise is to bludgeon audiences over the head with it.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- How to make salads for reluctant salad eaters
Subscribe to the Week