- Bummer March 17
Director Marc Webb has always seemed like he was born to shepherd The Amazing Spider-Man franchise to the big screen (if only because his last name was "Webb"). But in a recent interview with The Daily Beast, Webb revealed that his time with the web-slinger will be limited to just three films.
"I'd like to be involved as a consultant, and I've already talked to these guys about it, but in terms of directing [The Amazing Spider Man 3], that will close out my tenure," said Webb. I've had so much fun doing it, but after the third movie, it'll be the time to find something else." But with or without Webb, Sony isn't wasting any time — The Amazing Spider-Man 4 is already scheduled for release in May of 2018.
The studio is also developing spin-offs based on villains Venom and the Sinister Six, as part of a plan to release a new entry in the Amazing Spider-Man franchise every year — because the best way to ensure the long-term future of your franchise is to bludgeon audiences over the head with it.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week