Yes, there's something beautiful in a pot of beans, simmering away: of spooning up its garlicky, brothy goodness, of stretching it all week, of feeling whole and useful and efficient. That's all wonderful. But when dinner needed to have happened five minutes ago, and you're looking for something to sustain you now this very second, it's time to whip out the handy can opener. Here are our 13 ways to transform canned beans into a proper dinner — one that just might be as good as that pot of long-simmered beans could've been.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week