Yes, there's something beautiful in a pot of beans, simmering away: of spooning up its garlicky, brothy goodness, of stretching it all week, of feeling whole and useful and efficient. That's all wonderful. But when dinner needed to have happened five minutes ago, and you're looking for something to sustain you now this very second, it's time to whip out the handy can opener. Here are our 13 ways to transform canned beans into a proper dinner — one that just might be as good as that pot of long-simmered beans could've been.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week