Yes, there's something beautiful in a pot of beans, simmering away: of spooning up its garlicky, brothy goodness, of stretching it all week, of feeling whole and useful and efficient. That's all wonderful. But when dinner needed to have happened five minutes ago, and you're looking for something to sustain you now this very second, it's time to whip out the handy can opener. Here are our 13 ways to transform canned beans into a proper dinner — one that just might be as good as that pot of long-simmered beans could've been.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week