Yes, there's something beautiful in a pot of beans, simmering away: of spooning up its garlicky, brothy goodness, of stretching it all week, of feeling whole and useful and efficient. That's all wonderful. But when dinner needed to have happened five minutes ago, and you're looking for something to sustain you now this very second, it's time to whip out the handy can opener. Here are our 13 ways to transform canned beans into a proper dinner — one that just might be as good as that pot of long-simmered beans could've been.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week