- The internet never forgets March 17
Happy St Patrick's Day! Here's something Jennifer Aniston probably hopes you don't remember: In her first major film appearance, she fought an evil leprechaun.
Just a year before Aniston's big break on Friends, Aniston starred opposite Warwick Davis in 1993's Leprechaun. In the film, Davis plays a sadistic little leprechaun who has traveled from Ireland to America to recover a stolen pot of gold — and he's willing to kill anyone who gets in his way. Here's a scene in which the leprechaun chases Aniston through a hospital while cackling like a deranged maniac:
You'll be shocked to hear that the movie was poorly received — but what about its soon-to-be-famous star? "Jennifer Aniston shows that, in different circumstances, she might be competent," wrote film critic James Berardinelli at the time. High praise!
Unfortunately, though her character survived Leprechaun, Aniston didn't reprise her role in any of the sequels — so we never got to see her fight the titular leprechaun in space or in the hood. Much later in her career, an Irish journalist asked if she had ever wanted to apologize to the people of Ireland for starring in the movie. "I should have apologized," she conceded. "But didn't that punish me enough?"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
Subscribe to the Week