- Second Acts March 18
Mark this under things I didn't know I wanted to see: As an extra for The Tonight Show, the Avett Brothers performed the John Denver hit "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." Neither Denver, who moved around a lot as the child of a career-military father, nor Seth and Scott Avett, from outside Charlotte, N.C., might be what you'd call "country," but they all saw a lot of America on shoestring-budget tours, and you get the sense they know what they're singing about. Too bad Denver didn't live long enough to cover the Avetts' "Murder in the City." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
Subscribe to the Week