- Oof March 18
Perhaps it's time to cool it on the selfies. A 21-year-old Spanish man died Saturday after he was struck by a high-voltage wire while climbing atop a stopped train in order to take a photo of himself and friends. He had assumed the wire was not electrified, according to reports from the southern city of Andújar.
The 3,500-volt discharge instantly killed the man, police say. Another friend survived the shock and remains in serious condition at a local hospital. The town's mayor has declared the next three days of mourning.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 400,000 Americans marched for climate justice. Now what?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week