- Oof March 18
Perhaps it's time to cool it on the selfies. A 21-year-old Spanish man died Saturday after he was struck by a high-voltage wire while climbing atop a stopped train in order to take a photo of himself and friends. He had assumed the wire was not electrified, according to reports from the southern city of Andújar.
The 3,500-volt discharge instantly killed the man, police say. Another friend survived the shock and remains in serious condition at a local hospital. The town's mayor has declared the next three days of mourning.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week