- Oof March 18
Perhaps it's time to cool it on the selfies. A 21-year-old Spanish man died Saturday after he was struck by a high-voltage wire while climbing atop a stopped train in order to take a photo of himself and friends. He had assumed the wire was not electrified, according to reports from the southern city of Andújar.
The 3,500-volt discharge instantly killed the man, police say. Another friend survived the shock and remains in serious condition at a local hospital. The town's mayor has declared the next three days of mourning.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week