- Oof March 18
Perhaps it's time to cool it on the selfies. A 21-year-old Spanish man died Saturday after he was struck by a high-voltage wire while climbing atop a stopped train in order to take a photo of himself and friends. He had assumed the wire was not electrified, according to reports from the southern city of Andújar.
The 3,500-volt discharge instantly killed the man, police say. Another friend survived the shock and remains in serious condition at a local hospital. The town's mayor has declared the next three days of mourning.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week