- This is terrible March 19
A 56-year-old homeless man died last month in a Rikers Island jail cell due to extreme heat, according to the Associated Press. Citing a handful of anonymous officials, the AP reports that Jerome Murdough — a mentally ill veteran who was locked up for trespassing in a Harlem stairwell to escape the February cold — was found dead in a cell that had been inadvertently overheated to at least 100 degrees.
"He basically baked to death," one of the officials told the AP. Murdough was reportedly taking anti-psychotic and anti-seizure medication, which may have made him more susceptible to the heat. There is as yet no official cause of death.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- In defense of family dinner
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week