- This is terrible March 19
A 56-year-old homeless man died last month in a Rikers Island jail cell due to extreme heat, according to the Associated Press. Citing a handful of anonymous officials, the AP reports that Jerome Murdough — a mentally ill veteran who was locked up for trespassing in a Harlem stairwell to escape the February cold — was found dead in a cell that had been inadvertently overheated to at least 100 degrees.
"He basically baked to death," one of the officials told the AP. Murdough was reportedly taking anti-psychotic and anti-seizure medication, which may have made him more susceptible to the heat. There is as yet no official cause of death.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week