- This is terrible March 19
Lorde isn't a fan of the Westboro Baptist Church, a nasty organization that hates everything but excels at sign-making. The singer drew ire from the group for a recent interview she did with an Australian radio show in which she criticized the station's DJs for making rude remarks implying that she is a lesbian.
After the 17-year-old singer got word that the hate group would be picketing her Kansas City show on March 21, she had a few choice tweets for the church members. "Everyone wear rainbow clothing to that show. Everyone try to kiss church members who are same sex as you. They will so love it. Christmas comin early in kansas city," she wrote. The tweets have since been deleted.
The Westboro Baptist Church responded by releasing a cover of Lorde's hit song "Royals." Naturally, they replaced references to gold teeth and Grey Goose with images of damnation and hellfire. "We're coming to end of all the flesh / We warned with pickets, signs and songs and our movies," one church member sings. Listen to whole disturbing cover below — if you enjoy pain. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week