- This is terrible March 19
Lorde isn't a fan of the Westboro Baptist Church, a nasty organization that hates everything but excels at sign-making. The singer drew ire from the group for a recent interview she did with an Australian radio show in which she criticized the station's DJs for making rude remarks implying that she is a lesbian.
After the 17-year-old singer got word that the hate group would be picketing her Kansas City show on March 21, she had a few choice tweets for the church members. "Everyone wear rainbow clothing to that show. Everyone try to kiss church members who are same sex as you. They will so love it. Christmas comin early in kansas city," she wrote. The tweets have since been deleted.
The Westboro Baptist Church responded by releasing a cover of Lorde's hit song "Royals." Naturally, they replaced references to gold teeth and Grey Goose with images of damnation and hellfire. "We're coming to end of all the flesh / We warned with pickets, signs and songs and our movies," one church member sings. Listen to whole disturbing cover below — if you enjoy pain. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
Subscribe to the Week