Last week's question: Millennials spend up to 18 hours a day on social media, texting, websites, and other screen-based media, a new study found. If the Internet suddenly disappeared, what should be the first thing that young people do with all their available time?
THE WINNER: Take naked Polaroids of themselves and snail mail them to friends
Tara Carman, Burien, Wash.
SECOND PLACE: Return to sleeping 18 hours a day
Karen Lynn, Zephyrhills, Fla.
THIRD PLACE: Find out if their parents are still alive
Philip Dacey, Minneapolis
Get a job and show up
Joan Petty, Prescott, Ariz.
Move out of my basement
Jim Lancaster, Atlanta
Call each friend on a landline and ask if their Internet is down
Marti Dryk, Austin
Learn to cross the street while actually looking out for traffic
Dick LaVine, New York City
Ask a Baby Boomer what a stamp is
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Exercise more than just their fingers
Mark Karol, Fair Haven, N.J.
Become more skilled at uni-tasking
Mark Severin, Puyallup, Wa.
Read a book
Jeffrey Silk, Doylestown, Pa.
Hang out at newsstands thumbing through porn magazines
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, Calif.
Binge watch TV like normal people do
Paul Carroll, Garland, Texas
Call their mothers
Raven Deerwater, Mendocino, Calif.
Nancy Deschamps, Forest Hills, N.Y.
Get to know all of their “friends”
Chrissy Steward, Goshen, Conn.
Do the laundry
Suzanne Brooks, Quechee, Vt.
Retrain their eyes to focus on objects more than 18 inches from their face
Judith Stodola, Green Bay, Wis.
Join a Lonely Hearts Club
Roger Cernius, Belen, N.M.
Accidentally push their thumbs through the morning paper
Patrick Tuite, West Palm Beach, Fla.
Find and smell the roses
Frank Duffy, Bayfield, Colo.
Shop garage sales for encyclopedias
Susan Taylor, Charleston, Ill.
Buy Outdoor Activities for Dummies
Kc. Boren, Victoria, Texas
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week