- Whatever You Say March 20
In 2009, Bernie Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison for running the largest Ponzi scheme in American history, a scheme that netted the duplicitous financier some $50 billion. In other words, Madoff oversaw a massive redistribution of wealth from many (his clients) to one (himself).
Well, Politico caught up with the disgraced Madoff for a three-hour-long interview, the result of which is this perfect, tone deaf passage:
Madoff voted for Obama in 2008, but now says he is "terribly disappointed" in the president and would not have voted for him a second time. "His policies are too socialist." [...] New York Mayor Bill de Blasio? "I'm not a great fan of redistribution of wealth," Madoff says. [Politico]
Hear that, you dang socialist politicians? Stop trying to redistribute all that wealth. That's Madoff's job.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
Subscribe to the Week