- Quotables March 20
Former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, who is poised to become the first openly gay player in the NFL, thanked his alma mater for the "love and acceptance" it gave him in a letter published Thursday in the Columbia Missourian.
"From my first recruiting trip to the University of Missouri, I felt something extraordinary and special — something I didn't feel anyplace else," Sam wrote. "I didn't have a name for it then; I do now. It's called family."
"And to me that family is defined by unconditional love," he added.
Head over to the Columbia Missourian to read the whole thing here.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
Subscribe to the Week