- Nature's Wonders March 21
Here's your tearjerker viral moment of the day: A dying cancer patient wanted to live out his final moments near his favorite animals, so a Dutch zoo arranged it. The 54-year-old man, only identified as Mario, laid in a hospital bed at the giraffe habitat at Rotterdam's Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo and waited for the gentle animals to approach him. The man is reportedly mentally handicapped and worked as a maintenance man at the zoo.
"You could totally see him light up," a zookeeper told a Dutch newspaper. "It's very special to see that those animals recognize him, and sense that he isn't doing well." -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week