- Nature's Wonders March 21
Here's your tearjerker viral moment of the day: A dying cancer patient wanted to live out his final moments near his favorite animals, so a Dutch zoo arranged it. The 54-year-old man, only identified as Mario, laid in a hospital bed at the giraffe habitat at Rotterdam's Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo and waited for the gentle animals to approach him. The man is reportedly mentally handicapped and worked as a maintenance man at the zoo.
"You could totally see him light up," a zookeeper told a Dutch newspaper. "It's very special to see that those animals recognize him, and sense that he isn't doing well." -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week