- Nature's Wonders March 21
Here's your tearjerker viral moment of the day: A dying cancer patient wanted to live out his final moments near his favorite animals, so a Dutch zoo arranged it. The 54-year-old man, only identified as Mario, laid in a hospital bed at the giraffe habitat at Rotterdam's Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo and waited for the gentle animals to approach him. The man is reportedly mentally handicapped and worked as a maintenance man at the zoo.
"You could totally see him light up," a zookeeper told a Dutch newspaper. "It's very special to see that those animals recognize him, and sense that he isn't doing well." -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
Subscribe to the Week