- Nature's Wonders March 21
Here's your tearjerker viral moment of the day: A dying cancer patient wanted to live out his final moments near his favorite animals, so a Dutch zoo arranged it. The 54-year-old man, only identified as Mario, laid in a hospital bed at the giraffe habitat at Rotterdam's Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo and waited for the gentle animals to approach him. The man is reportedly mentally handicapped and worked as a maintenance man at the zoo.
"You could totally see him light up," a zookeeper told a Dutch newspaper. "It's very special to see that those animals recognize him, and sense that he isn't doing well." -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week