- Quotables March 21
The Academy handed out 24 separate awards at the 86th Oscars ceremony earlier this month — but if you asked the average person what he or she remembers about the evening, it would probably involve something about pizza, selfies, or Adele Dazeem. The latter really took off, spawning a Twitter parody, countless memes, and a "Travoltify Yourself" name generator that quickly became Slate's highest-trafficked article of all time.
But how does Frozen's Idina Menzel — the subject of John Travolta's unfortunate Oscar flub — feel about the fact that "Adele Dazeem" has taken on a life of her own? As it turns out, she's just fine with it. "That threw me for a minute, but then I just got back on track and reminded myself of where I was," says Menzel in an interview with Billboard. "He was really gracious and sent me this gorgeous email, and we're buddies and it's all cool. Please, I mean, I've only benefited from it." Way to let it go, Adele.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I lost all my money
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week