- The future has arrived March 22
You don't need to see BlackBerry's share price to know the once-ubiquitous smartphone is now struggling to compete.
All you need is Sasha and Malia Obama, who long ago outstripped Dad in the Cool Department by switching to iPhones. President Obama, on the other hand, has been stuck with his BlackBerry since taking office in 2008, because the phone still boasts the most secure encryption technology.
But photos of the commander-in-chief may soon feature him tapping away on an Android device instead.
The White House's technology team and Communications Agency is testing LG Electronics and Samsung phones "for internal use," according to a Wall Street Journal report.
Officials said any implementation of the new phones is still months away, so Sasha and Malia have plenty of time to school their dad in the art of the selfie. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week