- The future has arrived March 22
You don't need to see BlackBerry's share price to know the once-ubiquitous smartphone is now struggling to compete.
All you need is Sasha and Malia Obama, who long ago outstripped Dad in the Cool Department by switching to iPhones. President Obama, on the other hand, has been stuck with his BlackBerry since taking office in 2008, because the phone still boasts the most secure encryption technology.
But photos of the commander-in-chief may soon feature him tapping away on an Android device instead.
The White House's technology team and Communications Agency is testing LG Electronics and Samsung phones "for internal use," according to a Wall Street Journal report.
Officials said any implementation of the new phones is still months away, so Sasha and Malia have plenty of time to school their dad in the art of the selfie. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week