- Nature's Nightmares March 23
Rescue crews are still searching through the rubble to locate trapped survivors of a deadly mudslide that washed away homes and sparked fears of a potentially dangerous flood in northwest Washington on Saturday. At least three people are confirmed dead, eight others have been hospitalized, and more remain missing in Snohomish County, where fire chief Travis Hots said people were "yelling for our help" through the night. The landslide, believed to have been triggered by recent heavy rainfall, destroyed at least six homes and bottled up the Stillaguamish River, causing subsequent flood damage. Authorities said the landslide was at least 45 yards wide, and have urged people living in the area to evacuate in case of further damage.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week