- Nature's Nightmares March 23
Rescue crews are still searching through the rubble to locate trapped survivors of a deadly mudslide that washed away homes and sparked fears of a potentially dangerous flood in northwest Washington on Saturday. At least three people are confirmed dead, eight others have been hospitalized, and more remain missing in Snohomish County, where fire chief Travis Hots said people were "yelling for our help" through the night. The landslide, believed to have been triggered by recent heavy rainfall, destroyed at least six homes and bottled up the Stillaguamish River, causing subsequent flood damage. Authorities said the landslide was at least 45 yards wide, and have urged people living in the area to evacuate in case of further damage.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week