- Nature's Nightmares March 23
Rescue crews are still searching through the rubble to locate trapped survivors of a deadly mudslide that washed away homes and sparked fears of a potentially dangerous flood in northwest Washington on Saturday. At least three people are confirmed dead, eight others have been hospitalized, and more remain missing in Snohomish County, where fire chief Travis Hots said people were "yelling for our help" through the night. The landslide, believed to have been triggered by recent heavy rainfall, destroyed at least six homes and bottled up the Stillaguamish River, causing subsequent flood damage. Authorities said the landslide was at least 45 yards wide, and have urged people living in the area to evacuate in case of further damage.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week