- Nature's Nightmares March 23
Rescue crews are still searching through the rubble to locate trapped survivors of a deadly mudslide that washed away homes and sparked fears of a potentially dangerous flood in northwest Washington on Saturday. At least three people are confirmed dead, eight others have been hospitalized, and more remain missing in Snohomish County, where fire chief Travis Hots said people were "yelling for our help" through the night. The landslide, believed to have been triggered by recent heavy rainfall, destroyed at least six homes and bottled up the Stillaguamish River, causing subsequent flood damage. Authorities said the landslide was at least 45 yards wide, and have urged people living in the area to evacuate in case of further damage.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week