- Nature's Nightmares March 23
Rescue crews are still searching through the rubble to locate trapped survivors of a deadly mudslide that washed away homes and sparked fears of a potentially dangerous flood in northwest Washington on Saturday. At least three people are confirmed dead, eight others have been hospitalized, and more remain missing in Snohomish County, where fire chief Travis Hots said people were "yelling for our help" through the night. The landslide, believed to have been triggered by recent heavy rainfall, destroyed at least six homes and bottled up the Stillaguamish River, causing subsequent flood damage. Authorities said the landslide was at least 45 yards wide, and have urged people living in the area to evacuate in case of further damage.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- WATCH: Australia's army chief demonstrates how you address sex abuse
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week