- Coming Soon March 24
The new trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past begins by assuring audiences that this is far bigger than your average X-Men sequel. "So many battles waged over the years," says Patrick Stewart's Professor X in the new trailer. "And yet, none of them like this. Are we destined to destroy each other? Or can we change who we are and unite? Is the future truly set?"
It's hard to argue with director Bryan Singer's ambitious vision. Days of Future Past uses a mind-bending time travel storyline to unite the casts from the original X-Men trilogy and the Cold War-era prequel First Class, resulting in a sprawling, star-studded superhero sequel. This new trailer offers glimpses at a number of intriguing elements, including new villain Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage), the terrifying Sentinels, and a fraught conversation between Professor X and his younger self (James McAvoy).
Will this massive X-Men story score with audiences? We'll find out when Days of Future Past hits theaters on May 23. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- 10 things you need to know today: July 24, 2014
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
Subscribe to the Week