- Watch this March 24
New Zealand has seen a massive spike in tourism thanks to the all-encompassing popularity of the Lord of the Rings franchise — but can similarly popular movie franchises attract similarly geeky travelers?
Tunisia — which Star Wars fans are more likely to remember as Tatooine, the home planet of the Skywalker family — is testing the waters with a Star Wars-themed video commissioned by the tourism department. The video features a wide range of Star Wars characters dancing to Pharrell's Oscar-nominated "Happy," including C-3PO, R2-D2, Boba Fett, and a moon-walking Stormtrooper.
The video makes an admirable attempt to stay faithful to Star Wars canon; the no-nonsense Darth Vader somehow manages to resist dancing to Pharrell's legendarily catchy song, and every character that appears has actually visited Tatooine at some point during the Star Wars series. (We'll just assume Padme got there through an inter-dimensional time warp.) --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week