- Oops March 24
Former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown (R) faces an uphill battle in his quest to return to Congress from neighboring New Hampshire. There's the obvious carpetbagger critique — he only recently moved his primary residence to the Granite State — and the fact that Brown was resoundingly booted by Massachusetts voters just two years ago. But Brown is doing himself no favors in making totally un-self-aware remarks like this one he gave to the Associated Press: "Do I have the best credentials? Probably not. 'Cause, you know, whatever. But I have long and strong ties to this state."
In fairness to Brown, he was discussing his residency dilemma. But Democratic operatives are already having a field day with this one:
Scott Brown: Am I going to fight for New Hampshire's middle class? Probably not. 'Cause, you know, whatever. #Bqhatevwr— Justin Barasky (@JustinBarasky) March 24, 2014
It'll be hard for Brown to pretend that this remark was just another pocket tweet.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week