- Oops March 24
Former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown (R) faces an uphill battle in his quest to return to Congress from neighboring New Hampshire. There's the obvious carpetbagger critique — he only recently moved his primary residence to the Granite State — and the fact that Brown was resoundingly booted by Massachusetts voters just two years ago. But Brown is doing himself no favors in making totally un-self-aware remarks like this one he gave to the Associated Press: "Do I have the best credentials? Probably not. 'Cause, you know, whatever. But I have long and strong ties to this state."
In fairness to Brown, he was discussing his residency dilemma. But Democratic operatives are already having a field day with this one:
Scott Brown: Am I going to fight for New Hampshire's middle class? Probably not. 'Cause, you know, whatever. #Bqhatevwr— Justin Barasky (@JustinBarasky) March 24, 2014
It'll be hard for Brown to pretend that this remark was just another pocket tweet.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Are hedge funds doomed?
Subscribe to the Week