- Them's the rules March 25
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart considered the fate of President Obama's nominee for surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy, whose appointment is in trouble due to some comments he's made in favor of gun safety measures. One example Senate Republicans are highlighting is a 2012 tweet... in which Murthy said he was tired of politicians being scared of the NRA. Stewart noted the irony of Murthy being proved right — Democrats alone could confirm him, but up to 10 are balking because of strong opposition from the NRA — and then tried to find a sensible middle ground between suspending kids over fake guns and sinking the nomination of "America's scold" because he once warned that guns can be bad for your health. "You know, bullets are not generally considered super foods," Stewart reminded Murthy's critics. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Are hedge funds doomed?
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Obama's politically lethal credibility problem
Subscribe to the Week