- Backlash March 25
When Vogue presented Kim Kardashian and Kanye West as April's cover stars, not all of the glossy's readers were pleased. In fact, there was enough backlash for Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour to issue an official statement defending her decision to feature the controversial celebrities. In addition to backlash from readers on Twitter, members of the media and celebrities also expressed their disapproval.
As former Deadline blogger Nikki Finke puts it:
I'm loving the big backlash aimed at Anna Wintour for putting Kim Kardashian on Vogue cover. Issue should come with barf bag.— Nikki Finke (@NikkiFinke) March 21, 2014
Meanwhile, BuzzFeed Senior Editor Matt Bellassai had an unconventional reason for purchasing the issue:
I'm gonna buy the Kanye and Kim Vogue issue just so I can burn it.
— Matt Bellassai (@MattBellassai) March 21, 2014
Well......I guess I'm canceling my Vogue subscription. Who is with me???— Sarah Michelle (@RealSMG) March 21, 2014
Expressing her disapproval to her 234,000 Twitter followers is one way to get the point across, but the former Buffy star probably shouldn't expect a Vogue cover of her own anytime soon.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Why is Obama still smoking?
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week