With chia seeds popping up in the breakfast aisle and kale on every corner, it's easy to think that we're living in the superfood golden days. While it's true that people ate berries, salmon, and dark leafy greens long before marketing geniuses came up with the concept of superfoods, it's also probably true that we enjoy more obscure grains than our grandparents did.
Chances are, your grandmother did not eat quinoa. Maybe you didn't even eat quinoa — until it became ubiquitous overnight, that is. Now it's showing up in your breakfast, your lunch, your dinner, even your dessert. Here are 13 ways to make a meal of it.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week