With chia seeds popping up in the breakfast aisle and kale on every corner, it's easy to think that we're living in the superfood golden days. While it's true that people ate berries, salmon, and dark leafy greens long before marketing geniuses came up with the concept of superfoods, it's also probably true that we enjoy more obscure grains than our grandparents did.
Chances are, your grandmother did not eat quinoa. Maybe you didn't even eat quinoa — until it became ubiquitous overnight, that is. Now it's showing up in your breakfast, your lunch, your dinner, even your dessert. Here are 13 ways to make a meal of it.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week