- Coming Soon March 25
Earlier this year, the Kellan Lutz vehicle The Legend of Hercules thudded into theaters with 3 percent positive reviews and an $18.8 million gross on a $70 million budget. Let's hope that The Legend of Hercules was a failure of execution and not concept, because the second blockbuster take on the storied demigod is slated to hit theaters this summer.
The first teaser for Brett Ratner's Hercules reintroduces the hero to audiences with a grandiose monologue. "No matter how far you go, man cannot escape his fate," says the voiceover. "Are you a murderer? Are you a mercenary who turns his back on the innocent? We believe in you. We have faith in you. Remember the deeds you have performed. The labors you have accomplished. Are you only the legend, or are you the truth behind the legend?"
Hercules would look like yet another second-rate 300 knockoff if not for one thing: The presence of the unfailingly charismatic Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the title role. Unfortunately, this teaser doesn't give us much to go on: A bunch of action shots and the sure-to-be-endlessly-quoted capper, "I. AM. HERCULEEEEEEEEES!"
Will this blockbuster take revitalize the legendary hero on the big screen? We'll find out when Hercules hits theaters in July. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week