- exit this way March 25
The party is finally over for Four Loko.
The canned alcoholic energy drink's parent company, Phusion Products LLC, agreed to halt production of the incredibly sugary beverage often favored by underage drinkers. The decision comes as a result of a settlement with 20 states that accused the company of promoting underage drinking and failing to warn consumers of the dangers of drinking large quantities of alcohol combined with caffeine.
Phusion Products LLC initially got in trouble in 2010 by the Food and Drug Administration when it declared Four Loko an unsafe product. Consuming the drink led to a condition called a "state of wide-awake drunk" linked to alcohol poisoning, car accidents, and even assaults.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- California's epic drought
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
Subscribe to the Week