- exit this way March 25
The party is finally over for Four Loko.
The canned alcoholic energy drink's parent company, Phusion Products LLC, agreed to halt production of the incredibly sugary beverage often favored by underage drinkers. The decision comes as a result of a settlement with 20 states that accused the company of promoting underage drinking and failing to warn consumers of the dangers of drinking large quantities of alcohol combined with caffeine.
Phusion Products LLC initially got in trouble in 2010 by the Food and Drug Administration when it declared Four Loko an unsafe product. Consuming the drink led to a condition called a "state of wide-awake drunk" linked to alcohol poisoning, car accidents, and even assaults.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
Subscribe to the Week