- exit this way March 25
The party is finally over for Four Loko.
The canned alcoholic energy drink's parent company, Phusion Products LLC, agreed to halt production of the incredibly sugary beverage often favored by underage drinkers. The decision comes as a result of a settlement with 20 states that accused the company of promoting underage drinking and failing to warn consumers of the dangers of drinking large quantities of alcohol combined with caffeine.
Phusion Products LLC initially got in trouble in 2010 by the Food and Drug Administration when it declared Four Loko an unsafe product. Consuming the drink led to a condition called a "state of wide-awake drunk" linked to alcohol poisoning, car accidents, and even assaults.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week