- This just in March 25
Hot on the heels of the $19 billion acquisition of instant messaging platform WhatsApp, Facebook today announced its latest purchase.
The latest buy, however, has on the face of it nothing to do with Facebook's core social networking business.
That suggests that Zuckerberg has major plans to expand beyond what we think of today as social networking.
So, why virtual reality? Perhaps Zuckerberg imagines that the next generation of online social interaction will involve immersive virtual environments in cyberspace?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- The conservative battle against ObamaCare won't end with Halbig
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Girls on Film: Why audiences are responsible for the future of cinema
Subscribe to the Week