- Watch this March 26
A massive fire tore through a luxury condo building under construction in Houston, Texas yesterday, and a daring rescue was caught on camera. The fast-moving, five-alarm blaze put a construction worker's life in peril, as he was stranded on the fourth floor. With the flames intensifying, the worker dropped down to a balcony below as he waited for a ladder truck to rescue him. In the video, he can be seen swinging from the balcony.
The man was rescued by a firefighter right before a wall of fire crumbled the apartment's top floor and dropped behind him. The video was uploaded to YouTube by Karen Jones, an AIG employee who recorded it from a nearby building.
High winds are being blamed for aiding the flame's ferociousness. The cause is being investigated and no injuries were reported. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
Subscribe to the Week