- Watch this March 26
A massive fire tore through a luxury condo building under construction in Houston, Texas yesterday, and a daring rescue was caught on camera. The fast-moving, five-alarm blaze put a construction worker's life in peril, as he was stranded on the fourth floor. With the flames intensifying, the worker dropped down to a balcony below as he waited for a ladder truck to rescue him. In the video, he can be seen swinging from the balcony.
The man was rescued by a firefighter right before a wall of fire crumbled the apartment's top floor and dropped behind him. The video was uploaded to YouTube by Karen Jones, an AIG employee who recorded it from a nearby building.
High winds are being blamed for aiding the flame's ferociousness. The cause is being investigated and no injuries were reported. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- Why colleges' insistence on 'diversity' actually fails disadvantaged kids
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
Subscribe to the Week