- Watch this March 26
A massive fire tore through a luxury condo building under construction in Houston, Texas yesterday, and a daring rescue was caught on camera. The fast-moving, five-alarm blaze put a construction worker's life in peril, as he was stranded on the fourth floor. With the flames intensifying, the worker dropped down to a balcony below as he waited for a ladder truck to rescue him. In the video, he can be seen swinging from the balcony.
The man was rescued by a firefighter right before a wall of fire crumbled the apartment's top floor and dropped behind him. The video was uploaded to YouTube by Karen Jones, an AIG employee who recorded it from a nearby building.
High winds are being blamed for aiding the flame's ferociousness. The cause is being investigated and no injuries were reported. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
Subscribe to the Week