- Watch this March 26
A massive fire tore through a luxury condo building under construction in Houston, Texas yesterday, and a daring rescue was caught on camera. The fast-moving, five-alarm blaze put a construction worker's life in peril, as he was stranded on the fourth floor. With the flames intensifying, the worker dropped down to a balcony below as he waited for a ladder truck to rescue him. In the video, he can be seen swinging from the balcony.
The man was rescued by a firefighter right before a wall of fire crumbled the apartment's top floor and dropped behind him. The video was uploaded to YouTube by Karen Jones, an AIG employee who recorded it from a nearby building.
High winds are being blamed for aiding the flame's ferociousness. The cause is being investigated and no injuries were reported. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week