- Coming Soon March 27
At first glance, the first trailer for Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot could be mistaken for yet another superhero blockbuster. "Crime violence and fear have run rampant," says a sinister male voiceover in a generic monologue. "Our great city is being destroyed. People want justice restored to this world. People want heroes, Miss O'Neil. But heroes are not born. They're created. That's what your father and I were trying to do. create heroes."
And then, BAM! Leonardo backflips into the movie, twirling a pair of katanas. Yes, the Ninja Turtles are back, though their new CGI look is a little unsettling (and the trailer features a disheartening lack of both pizza and "Cowabunga"). Though this trailer is only 90 seconds long, it's clear that Michael Bay is shaking up the series' familiar status quo — but we'll have to wait until the movie hits theaters in May to find out exactly what these Michael Bay-ified Turtles are up to. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week