- Noted March 28
Italy's new government is cleaning out its garage. Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is putting 150 flashy government-owned vehicles for sale on eBay in an attempt to cut costs as the country aims to reduce a 2 trillion euro debt. Bidding ends April 15 for dozens of Alfa Romeos, BMWs, Lancias, and even a Maserati.
Although selling the cars won't do much to dent Italy's massive debt, the move is a symbol of Renzi's promise to cut back on ostentatious spending during a time of economic hardship. Currently, most of the bids are for a grey Alfa Romeo 166 that's going for 8,600 euros.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week