- Noted March 28
Italy's new government is cleaning out its garage. Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is putting 150 flashy government-owned vehicles for sale on eBay in an attempt to cut costs as the country aims to reduce a 2 trillion euro debt. Bidding ends April 15 for dozens of Alfa Romeos, BMWs, Lancias, and even a Maserati.
Although selling the cars won't do much to dent Italy's massive debt, the move is a symbol of Renzi's promise to cut back on ostentatious spending during a time of economic hardship. Currently, most of the bids are for a grey Alfa Romeo 166 that's going for 8,600 euros.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week