- Noted March 28
Italy's new government is cleaning out its garage. Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is putting 150 flashy government-owned vehicles for sale on eBay in an attempt to cut costs as the country aims to reduce a 2 trillion euro debt. Bidding ends April 15 for dozens of Alfa Romeos, BMWs, Lancias, and even a Maserati.
Although selling the cars won't do much to dent Italy's massive debt, the move is a symbol of Renzi's promise to cut back on ostentatious spending during a time of economic hardship. Currently, most of the bids are for a grey Alfa Romeo 166 that's going for 8,600 euros.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week