- Whoa March 30
Since assuming control of the Catholic church last year, Pope Francis has made a habit of breaking with his predecessors. And in the latest such incident, the pope stunned those inside St. Peter's Basilica on Friday when he publicly confessed his sins to a priest during that day's service.
After reading a sermon at the service, the Pope was supposed to go hear other people's confessions. However, he instead walked over to a very surprised priest and confessed to him for several minutes. The Pope regularly goes to confession, according to Reuters, though never in public.
Here's the video, courtesy of the Catholic News Service:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
Subscribe to the Week