- Whoa March 30
Since assuming control of the Catholic church last year, Pope Francis has made a habit of breaking with his predecessors. And in the latest such incident, the pope stunned those inside St. Peter's Basilica on Friday when he publicly confessed his sins to a priest during that day's service.
After reading a sermon at the service, the Pope was supposed to go hear other people's confessions. However, he instead walked over to a very surprised priest and confessed to him for several minutes. The Pope regularly goes to confession, according to Reuters, though never in public.
Here's the video, courtesy of the Catholic News Service:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Half-baked genetic research is fueling the latest round of mom bashing
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
Subscribe to the Week