- Watch this March 30
With the end-of-month deadline to enroll in health insurance or face a fine rapidly approaching, President Obama has been on a pop culture PR blitz to sell the public on ObamaCare. The president appeared on Zach Galifianakis' absurdist Between Two Ferns; the White House released a March Madness-style health care bracket; and the administration joined BuzzFeed to post a fitting list of reasons, complete with Biden gifs, why everyone should sign up for insurance. Given that the effort has included no small amount of humor and whimsy, some on the right have complained that the president has tarnished the gravity of his office.
So how far is Obama willing to go to sell his eponymous health care law? According to Saturday Night Live, he'll do just about anything from posing with Kim Kardashian and Batkid, to dancing with the pope. He'll even, with a little urging, kiss Canadian menace Justin Bieber on the lips.
In its cold open Saturday, SNL had a social media maven convince a skeptical "Obama" to embrace each of those ideas to create viral promotional content.
"Yeah, but isn't it a little silly?" the fictional Obama asks.
"Mr. President, I'll tell you what's silly," an aide, played by Taran Killam, responds. "Right now there's a pregnant woman in Denver who has no health insurance. That is silly." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week