- Look at this March 30
Every year, iconic buildings around the world turn off their lights for an hour to mark Earth Hour. Now celebrated in some 150 countries, the campaign — which was held Saturday night — aims to raise awareness for local environmental projects and remind people to monitor their own energy usage.
So what did some landmarks look like when plunged into darkness?
Empire State Building:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week