- $$$$$ March 31
Sorry, Woody: With $1.072 billion earned worldwide, Frozen is the new top-grossing animated film of all time, eclipsing previous box-office title holder Toy Story 3's $1.063 billion. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Frozen has taken in $398.4 million at U.S. movie theaters and $674 million internationally.
More than four months after its release in the United States, Frozen was able to clinch the title thanks to the $50.5 million it has pulled in so far in Japan, the movie's final market. In addition to being history's highest-earning animated film, Frozen is now also No. 10 on the list of biggest global blockbusters, and the first movie from Disney Animation Studios to make over $1 billion at the box office. Which flick could Frozen surpass next? The Dark Knight Rises, which earned $1.084 worldwide. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to deep fry a turkey
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
Subscribe to the Week