- $$$$$ March 31
Sorry, Woody: With $1.072 billion earned worldwide, Frozen is the new top-grossing animated film of all time, eclipsing previous box-office title holder Toy Story 3's $1.063 billion. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Frozen has taken in $398.4 million at U.S. movie theaters and $674 million internationally.
More than four months after its release in the United States, Frozen was able to clinch the title thanks to the $50.5 million it has pulled in so far in Japan, the movie's final market. In addition to being history's highest-earning animated film, Frozen is now also No. 10 on the list of biggest global blockbusters, and the first movie from Disney Animation Studios to make over $1 billion at the box office. Which flick could Frozen surpass next? The Dark Knight Rises, which earned $1.084 worldwide. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week