- $$$$$ March 31
Sorry, Woody: With $1.072 billion earned worldwide, Frozen is the new top-grossing animated film of all time, eclipsing previous box-office title holder Toy Story 3's $1.063 billion. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Frozen has taken in $398.4 million at U.S. movie theaters and $674 million internationally.
More than four months after its release in the United States, Frozen was able to clinch the title thanks to the $50.5 million it has pulled in so far in Japan, the movie's final market. In addition to being history's highest-earning animated film, Frozen is now also No. 10 on the list of biggest global blockbusters, and the first movie from Disney Animation Studios to make over $1 billion at the box office. Which flick could Frozen surpass next? The Dark Knight Rises, which earned $1.084 worldwide. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week