- $$$$$ March 31
Sorry, Woody: With $1.072 billion earned worldwide, Frozen is the new top-grossing animated film of all time, eclipsing previous box-office title holder Toy Story 3's $1.063 billion. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Frozen has taken in $398.4 million at U.S. movie theaters and $674 million internationally.
More than four months after its release in the United States, Frozen was able to clinch the title thanks to the $50.5 million it has pulled in so far in Japan, the movie's final market. In addition to being history's highest-earning animated film, Frozen is now also No. 10 on the list of biggest global blockbusters, and the first movie from Disney Animation Studios to make over $1 billion at the box office. Which flick could Frozen surpass next? The Dark Knight Rises, which earned $1.084 worldwide. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The next pandemic
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week