- Crime and punishment March 31
Is nothing sacred? Rapper and Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta cast member Raymond Scott, also known as Benzino, was shot by his nephew on Saturday during his mother's funeral procession in Duxbury, Mass.
Benzino's business partner and friend Stevie J posted this photo of his injured friend on Instagram:
Scott told The Boston Globe Sunday that an intense family disagreement over his mother's care had originally kept him away from the funeral. He decided to meet a friend instead, and on his way came across the procession. "I looked over, there was a car, and all I saw was a gun shooting at me," he said. "I was trying to duck and dodge, drive around it, maneuver the car.... I was bleeding a lot. I was driving with my thumb in my shoulder to try to stop the bleeding."
Scott was shot in the upper back and arm, and says that he pulled over and ran before being quickly picked up by a relative who did not want to shoot him. His nephew, Gai Scott, is expected to be arraigned in Plymouth District Court on Monday. Gai Scott's attorney, Christopher Coughlin, says his client will plead not guilty to the charge of armed assault with intent to murder.
Scott theorizes that "money, jealousy, and envy" fractured his family. "You hear about these things, but you never think it could happen to you," he said. "At the end of the day, my mom was in my corner."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week