- Crime and punishment March 31
Is nothing sacred? Rapper and Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta cast member Raymond Scott, also known as Benzino, was shot by his nephew on Saturday during his mother's funeral procession in Duxbury, Mass.
Benzino's business partner and friend Stevie J posted this photo of his injured friend on Instagram:
Scott told The Boston Globe Sunday that an intense family disagreement over his mother's care had originally kept him away from the funeral. He decided to meet a friend instead, and on his way came across the procession. "I looked over, there was a car, and all I saw was a gun shooting at me," he said. "I was trying to duck and dodge, drive around it, maneuver the car.... I was bleeding a lot. I was driving with my thumb in my shoulder to try to stop the bleeding."
Scott was shot in the upper back and arm, and says that he pulled over and ran before being quickly picked up by a relative who did not want to shoot him. His nephew, Gai Scott, is expected to be arraigned in Plymouth District Court on Monday. Gai Scott's attorney, Christopher Coughlin, says his client will plead not guilty to the charge of armed assault with intent to murder.
Scott theorizes that "money, jealousy, and envy" fractured his family. "You hear about these things, but you never think it could happen to you," he said. "At the end of the day, my mom was in my corner."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
Subscribe to the Week