- corrections & clarifications April 1
Based on the Twitter explosion immediately following last night's How I Met Your Mother finale — and the raft of angry reviews that critics have published today — most viewers were less than thrilled with the CBS sitcom's ending. In its final hour, the show rolled out a series of controversial twists: Barney and Robin got divorced, Barney became a father after a one-night stand with a nameless woman, the mother died due to an unspecified illness, and the widowed Ted embarked on a new relationship with Robin (with the express support of his kids).
Pretty much none of it worked. But the finale did have one genuinely affecting scene: The long-awaited meeting between Ted and the mother on the Farhampton train platform. If you're one of the many viewers who wanted How I Met Your Mother to be about, you know, meeting the mother, one fan has already provided a quick fix: An edited version that provides the simple, poignant ending the show deserved. Watch it below. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week