- $$$$$ April 1
Mark Zuckerberg has so much money that he's decided his yearly salary should be one dollar. The Facebook founder, whose wealth is estimated at $27 billion, paid himself $1 in 2013 — a steep drop from his 2012 base salary of $500,000.
But before you applaud Zuck's selflessness, know that the move is mostly symbolic — he still made $3.3 billion last year in stock options, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Facebook's stock more than doubled last year, ensuring that Zuckerberg doesn't need a large base salary to live comfortably. He's not the first to take pay cut — other top tech CEOs like Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin own sizable equity stakes but only get paid one dollar in salary.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why we gossip, according to science
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week